Sunday 2 June 2013

Stockholm memories - Amaral

I'm alive. Though you may not believe it. I'm having a very busy but cool month living with my cousin, her husband and their three 8-10-12 year aged boys. Very very cool. In a few days I'll be moving to a new place, and there I guess I will settle a little bit and start writing here one more time. One never knows though.

But today I'm feeling like "I miss Stockholm". So let's rewind a year! Do you mind?

Sorry, can't listen to you happy readers haha. One of the cool things of Stockholm is that it is a big city, with all the events associated that such a condition implies. So, the thing is that around a year ago, on June 1st, we went to an Amaral concert organized by the Spanish embassy in a pub in Stockholm, Södra Teatern. Don't know if you know Amaral, she's a very famous Spanish singer who composes lyrics which go deep into your heart, and that I really like (at least is among my most beloved Spanish singers). Particularly I recommend "Son mis amigos" (They're my friends), "Revolución" (Revolution), "Toda la noche en la calle" (All night long in the streets) and the most famous one, "El Universo sobre mí" (The Universe over me). She's from Saragossa, my hometown. The cool thing is that I knew about these concert of hers in Stockholm, but didn't say a word to anyone. And I remember that my beloved Lilianna, who didn't know Amaral at all, said about going to this concert. For me, it was like "oh wow, very cool" and "they're lucky"

The concert was great. Amaral didn't say a word in English, and just "tack!" (thanks) in Swedish. But it was great. I particularly remember one song Amaral played, the last song of the concert, the "extra" song. It's not the song I appreciate the most of Amaral. But... The lyrics totally made sense there in Stockholm. It was somehow overwhelming... and now that I've moved to Barcelona, these lyrics make again sense for me.

So here you have the song, and a translation of it. Hope you enjoy it!


If I were born again, if I could start over,
 I would search for you again on my time machine.
 Destiny is what leads and guides us,
 comes between us and brings us together throughout life.

 We said goodbye to each other and the years passed,
 we saw each other again one Saturday night...
 another country, another city, another life,
 but the same feline glance.

 Sometimes I'd kill you, and others I want to eat you up instead,
 little aquamarine eyes.


CHORUS
 What can I say, if every part of my mind is yours
 and if I can't find the exact word, what can I say.
 How to tell you that you've won me over little by little
 you who arrived by coincidence, what can I say.

Like a fire bird that dies in your hands,
 a sliver of ice melted on your lips,
 the radio keeps on playing; the war has ended,
 but the bonfires still haven't died down.


 CHORUS [repeats]
 What can I say, if every part of my mind is yours
 and if I can't find the exact word, what can I say.
 How to tell you that you've won me over little by little
 you who arrived by coincidence, what can I say.

you're taking away my life, what can I say...

This is me, by the way. With Eva Amaral.
EDIT: (June 8th) I've just found a video of the concert there in Stockholm. I link it here and here, with a very special Portuguese voice singing along haha. Very cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment