Thursday 21 February 2013

Sunspots!!!

I don't really know if you're quite tuned about astronomy. I am definitely just a bit, so I was curious when today appeared this news about the appearance of a huge sunspot on the Sun.


Well, I'm not gonna give you a tedious explanation about it, you probably can find it elsewhere, if you want (and you probably don't).  But I just wanted to show you a very cool video (15 sec). I don't know if you know that the Sun has not magnetic poles as such, instead its magnetic field is changing with a period of 11 years. And see? Now you do know. The video essentially shows the evolution of the magnetic field along one of these periods. When I saw it for the first time in the IntroAstro course I took, I was quite amazed about it.



It made me kind of understand why the auroras occur with more intensity every 11 years, it was a kind of "click" here in my head. So, I hope you enjoyed it!! (I really like astronomy curiosities, you know?)

"Discovered black hole 450 millions times bigger than the Sun" - "El Pais" newspaper heading. (*They actually meant 450 million times more massive)

No comments:

Post a Comment